Monday, March 23, 2015

A LATIN LESSON

WORK FOR IT

Around this time every year I remember my Latin classes. "Peace on earth, good will to men" is repeatedly spoken and written; but this version suggests that peace and good will can be gifts from on high, presents nicely wrapped by angels. The original Latin, however, is NOT "Pax in terra, hominibus bona voluntas." It is "Pax in terra hominibus bonae voluntatis" -- "Peace on earth TO MEN OF GOOD WILL." There is a crucial distinction between the two; and that is my Christmas message to my readers. Peace, internationally and individually, is something to be earned, to be deserved.

I WISH you the best in yourself.

HOW FAST can you say "finger licking" twenty-nine times?

THE PURSUIT of happiness is often a race away from it.

ONE SNAKE to another: "Give me a little hiss..."

WILL YOU recognize what you are looking for when you finally find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A SELF UNSHARED SHRIVELS.